birdy love

Friday, September 7, 2012

Week 7

Before we got pregnant we signed up to go on a mission trip to El Zorrillo, Mexico to build houses.  Since no one knew I was pregnant it'd be weird if I didn't go, plus I felt like a challenge (in retrospect, that was dumb!).  We went a few days early before Mexico and stayed in San Diego for a short vacation, it was fun!  I threw up every morning but it was still fun to hang out with Tyler.  I wish I could have been able to eat more because the food was so good, but oh well.  I knew I needed to eat what I could before I went to Mexico and the menu wasn't as large.  One day we went to Laguna Beach and hung out with his great aunt and uncle, it was their anniversary and they insisted we eat dinner with them that night at the Ritz Carlton in Laguna Beach.  For being "the Ritz", Tyler and I weren't overly impressed with the food but the meal was still pretty good.  It was great to catch up with those two.  I have a whole separate couple of pages dedicated to San Diego that I could post telling everything we did but that would make this post really long, so I'll spare you. 

Our view from the side of the mountain into the town of El Zorrillo.
Mexico was tough.  We camped in tents by the ocean.  Very thankful that we had an air mattress.  The septic systems didn't allow toilet paper to be flushed so you had to put it in trash cans beside the toilet.  This made the bathrooms smell horrible- now factor in that I am super sensitive to smells and it's ten times worse!!  I wasn't able to eat much, still.  Survived on PB&J's.  The first day I went out to the jobsite which was literally on the side of the mountain and worked but I got exhausted.  I remember sitting on the side of the mountain thinking to myself, "where is a place I can throw up so no one will know" because if any liquid spilled it ran down the side of the mountain.  That night we told Joe Bever (from our church who we went with) and he said I should try to work with the ladies on the food crew.  I did.  Much better.  Those ladies took care of me, let me rest, made sure I didn't get too hot, etc.  It was so nice to have them there!!  I was very thankful for them.  I was also very ready to go home after that trip.  Tyler really enjoyed it but I'm not sure if I'll go back, the ratio of physical labor to interaction with people was not equal, weighing more on the labor side.  Tyler had a great time because that's right up his alley, but I prefer to talk to people more when I'm on a mission trip.  Also it very well could be that I didn't enjoy the trip because I was sick the whole time!! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment